Tuesday, June 5, 2012
JUNE IS FIREWORKS SAFETY AWARENESS MONTH
Nothing is more synonymous with Independence Day as fireworks and
practicing fireworks safety. It is an important way to make sure your
holiday weekend is as enjoyable and fun as possible. The following are
additional safety tips when you embark on your celebrations:
• DO NOT wear loose clothing while using fireworks or near an
open flame, such as a grill or campfire.
• ALWAYS read the directions and warning labels on fireworks. If a
device is not marked with the contents, directions or a warning
label, do not light it.
• Supervise children around fireworks at ALL times. Keep them a
safe distance away from the adult responsible for lighting them.
• Lastly, if you attend a public fireworks show, stay within approved
areas for spectators. DO NOT try to get around safety barriers for
a closer look. Even at sanctioned events, accidents can happen,
which is why safety barriers keep crowds at a distance.
Fireworks are entertaining but dangerous, so make sure that
safety considerations are a priority when planning your holiday
CONTACT YUCCA HEALTHCARE CENTER, 575-736-1426, 606 NORTH
13TH FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMTION OR TO SCHEDULE AN
APPOINTMENT. YUCCA HEALTHCARE CENTER STATE OF THE ART
FACILITY WITH A HOMETOWN FEEL.
Tuesday, May 8, 2012
May is the perfect time of year to assess your risk of skin cancer and get everything you need for summer sun protection. As the weather warms, if you live north of the equator, you’ll start spending more time outside, wearing short sleeved shirts and shorts---that means sun damage. Decisions, or the lack of decisions, that you make this summer can and will affect the future of your skin’s potential for skin cancer. Take advantage of the high quality “smorgasbord” of skin cancer prevention and detection resources available to you.
USE SKIN CANCER AWARENESS MONTH AS A REMINDER TO THINK ABOUT YOUR SKIN CANCER RISK NOW!
· Plan your sun protection strategy
· Learn how to do your own monthly skin exams
· Figure out if you’re at increased risk for skin cancer
· Schedule a PROFESSIONAL skin exam with your provider if you think you’re at increased risk for skin cancer.
UVA, ultra violet rays, are out all day, all year at equal intensity. There is less UVA in the morning and late afternoon. Try to schedule your outdoor activities when there is little or no chance of skin damage.
Thursday, March 22, 2012
FOOD IS A SOURCE OF PLEASURE AND GOOD TASTE
The taste of foods adds pleasure to eating—especially if you eat a greater variety of foods and learn to include your favorites in an overall healthful eating style.
STAYING FIT MEANS YOU HAVE A BETTR CHANCE FOR HIGHER QUALITY OF LIFE AND PERHAPS A LONFER ONE TOO.
When you are fit, you:
· Improve your mood, reduce your stress and increase your energy
· Reduce your risk for heart disease, cancer and diabetes
· Can look and feel better
· Have the physical strength and endurance to do the things you want to do
WHAT TO DO
For 2012, the theme for National Nutrition Month is “ Get your plate in shape”, spotlighting the plate nutrition guidelines. The following is a list of tips that will help you with your choices:
· Fill your plate with fruits and vegetable at every meal
· Switch to whole-grain versions of pasta, breads and cereals; serve brown rice instead of white (grains should make up about a quarter of your plate).
· Choose low-fat or fat free milk
· Aim for a variety of your protein servings (also about a quarter of your plate). Try a new fish or legume dish.
CONTACT YUCCA HEALTHCARE CENTER AT 575-736-2533 TO SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT OR FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT OUR NEW AND EXCITING CENTER FOR MEDICAL WEIGHT LOSS